The mission of the Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center is to rescue, rehabilitate, and release native and migratory wild birds that have been harmed or displaced, to provide or locate a humane shelter for those birds that cannot be released, and to educate the public toward the importance of coexistence with all wild bird species. Our 7 acre wetland sanctuary for education houses over 100+ native and migratory permanent residents. Our rehabilitation hospital receives over 1000 sick and injured birds a year. Our internship program is continuously growing offering college students and recent college grads hands on experience with avian husbandry, wildlife rehabilitation, and wildlife education. Having 3 to 4 interns at a time, we have internships available all year. Currently we are looking for Summer Interns. We are looking for hardworking and motivated individuals to partake in 6 month (minimum), 40 hour a week internships at our established organization. Interns are offered a $200 bi-weekly stipend and housing is provided on site.
Sanctuary internship duties may include but not limited to:
- Daily bird husbandry of permanent sanctuary residents i.e. feeding, cleaning, observing behavior, cage checks, replacing/cleaning perches, dishes etc.
- Picking up donated fish from local marine centers and sifting fish for quality
- Helping with regular clean up and of facility such as scrubbing perches, replacing mulch, trimming branches
- Assisting in bird rescues, intakes and releases
- Feeding and cleaning rehabilitation patients in medical cages and flight cage; with occasional weighing of patients and assessing condition
- Organizing and looking after enrichment for the sanctuary residents
- Helping with any educational events i.e. occasional sanctuary tours as well as regularly talking to guests
Hospital internship duties include, but not limited to:
- Daily cleaning and feeding of Hospital patients
- Keeping up with hospital cleanliness i.e. sweeping, mopping, laundry
- Administering medication and fluids therapy
- Helping staff with wound care, blood work, fecals, xrays etc
- Participating in bird rescues, intakes and releases
- Keeping detailed and updated reports on sick and injured patients
- Partaking in after-hour bird emergencies
Wildlife Rehabilitation Manager
- Working towards or completed Bachelor’s Degree in animal related field.
- 6 month commitment
- Willing to work 40 hours a week, weekends and holidays with occasional evenings
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and work in hot humid and rainy weather conditions
- Able to multi task and handle physical and mentally stressful tasks
- Ability to interact with the public proficiently
- Have a strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and ability to handle multiple personalities.
- Valid Drivers License and clean driving record
To apply for this job please visit www.keepthemflying.org.